Fri, May 13|
Workshops with James Friedgen
Take your dancing to the next level. Join us for a weekend of workshops with one of the best and most influential teachers in the U.S., Jaimes Friedgen.
Time & Location
May 13, 2022, 7:00 PM – May 16, 2022, 5:00 PM
Denver, 1570 N Clarkson St, Denver, CO 80218, USA
About the event
Take your dancing to the next level! Join us for a weekend of workshops with Jaimes Friedgen.
Event Page (Facebook); about 8th Syle Tango
- Friday: classes 7pm - 9:30pm; practica 9:30 - 10:30pm
- Saturday: classes 4pm - 6:30pm;
- [Saturday live-music milonga 8pm, not included]
- Sunday: classes 1pm - 3pm; practica 3-5pm)
- (Member) Wokshop full pass is $120. Purchase your pass on Vagaro (Packages)
- (Member) Workshop single class: $30. . Purchase your pass on Vagaro (Classes)
- Non-members: +$12**
** Starting in May, the Denver Turnverein (our venue) will require membership to attend evening dances. If you are not a member by this time, you will need to pay a $12 membership fee at the start of the workshops in order to become a member. This is a once-a-year payment to attend all our (and other events) at the Turnverein. This is a new payment structure to what Tango Colorado has done in the past; previously we used to charge different member and non-member prices. Now due to the new Denver Turnverein Policy everyone will be required to become a member (for a low price) and everyone will benefit from the discounted member prices. Contact us if you have questions email@example.com.
Jaimes started dancing tango in Los Angeles as a teenager in the mid-90s and has been hugely influential in the U.S. tango scene since. He founded and consulted for many of the most successful tango schools across the country including the Los Angeles Tango Academy, Oxygen Tango (L.A.), Mission Tango (San Francisco), and 8th Style (Seattle and Santa Fe). Alongside his long teaching and performing career with Christa Rodriguez he has also taught and performed with Mariana Dragone, Juana Copes, Cecilia Gonzales, Luciana Valle, and many others.
Jaimes has taught in Colorado as a special guest instructor many times over the last 25 years, but it has been a little while since his last visit. We are excited to be bringing him back!
Questions? Need help signing up? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule.
Friday, May 13th
7:00 - 8:00pm La Salida Basica
- Using the most classic tango figure to develop elegant posture, solid musicality, a beautiful embrace, and excellent floorcraft. (ADV BEG)
8:15 - 9:15pm The Salon Ocho Cortado
- Learning the difference between keeping the hips lined up with the torso and using torsion and the pivot to accentuate the melody. (INT)
9:15 - 10:30pm Practica
Saturday, May 14th
10:00am Tango workout at Cheesman Park, conditions permitting.
- This event is free, donations to 8th Style appreciated. Please check our Facebook group in advance for exact loaction and confirmation that conditions at the park are okay.
4:00 - 5:00pm El Ocho
- Using the second of the great Salon figures to train for torsion, pasadas, and more advanced connection. (INT)
5:15 - 6:15pm La Pasada
- Finding possibilities for the beautiful liaison between styles in all of your standard social dance vocabulary. (INT)
8:00pm - Midnight Live-music milonga (not included in workshop pass)
Sunday, May 15th
1:00 - 2:00pm Ochos Atrás
- An in depth study of the next crucial training pattern in the canon of Salon Tango, this workshop will give you the enduring gift of excellent back ocho technique. (INT)
2:00 - 3:00pm
- Salon vs. Milonguero Back Ochos: Exploring the versatility of the vocabulary that porteños created in the early 1940’s with the “back ocho revolution”, this is the ultimate blend of the most beautiful and useful elements in the dance. (INT)
3:00 - 5:00pm Practica (DJ: John Miller)
Jaimes will also be available for privates Friday through Tuesday. Contact us for scheduling.
Tuesday, May 17th
6:30 - 7:30pm Jaimes will be teaching the TC intermediate class. This class is not included in the workshop pass.
At this time, this is a vaccinated event due to venue policy. Two doses of moderna/pfizer or one dose of J&J required; booster recommended.